8 key tips after a car accident
Maybe you have not gotten into a serious car accident yet, but you have seen the statistics. Thousands of people will lose their lives or suffer significant injuries in Illinois this year. You know that one of them could be you.
What you don't know is exactly what you should do after a crash. You do not just want to let panic and shock take over. Familiarize yourself with the following tips, which can then guide you through the process if you do get into a wreck. You should:
- Not leave the scene, other than moving your car out of traffic.
- Check on everyone in your car to make sure they're uninjured.
- Call the authorities. Just dial 911 and get police and emergency services on the way.
- Get the other driver's insurance information, license plate number and other identifying information.
- Take pictures of the cars and the crash scene.
- Talk to anyone who saw the crash, asking them to describe it to the police.
- Tell your insurance provider that you got into a wreck. They'll tell you what your next steps should be.
- Keep track of all of your costs. These could include more than the damage to your car. You also want to track medical treatment, lost wages and other financial impacts.
Overall, your first goal is the well-being of those in the car. After that, turn to the legal side of things and make sure you know what steps to take. If you did not cause that accident, you may be able to seek financial compensation for expenses and damages.